Sunday, October 4, 2009

A blustery day in Michigan!

Sunday, October 4, 2009

It’s a blustery day in Michigan and I am sitting at my parent’s house with the TV blaring in the background but enjoying the smell of my childhood. Fall is in the air, the leaves are red and orange and falling, it’s cool and damp outside and warm and cozy in. I started the weekend with 10 of my sorority sisters from the University of Michigan…we get together every year and this was the 18th year since we started our reunions. We spend the weekend at a friend’s lakehouse on Zukey Lake, about 30 miles from Ann Arbor….it’s a wonderful weekend of eating and sipping wine and shopping ( Livingston Antique Mall near Howell, Howell Western Wear in Howell!) and laughing and I wouldn’t miss it for the world. This morning started with my alarm going off at 6:30 so that I could rouse the others and encourage everybody to get ready for a 5K that finishes on the 50 yd. line of the Michigan stadium! The race is called the Big House/Big Heart run and it supports the U of M ALS research, Mott Children’s Hospital, U-M Cardiovascular Center and the charity of your choice. When I graduated 29 years ago, I never imagined that I would get the chance to stand on the 50 yd. line of the U of M Stadium, let alone with 10 of my oldest and dearest friends.

Back to the blustery part of my story….one of the real treats when I come home is to go visit the Franklin Cider Mill in Franklin, Michigan. You know autumn has arrived when the smell of donuts and cider permeates the air. The Franklin Cider Mill was built in 1837 and while it hasn’t always been a cider mill, it’s been one for as long as I can remember ( and that’s a LONG time!). Cider is still made the old fashioned way using an apple press, and good, greasy donuts are made fresh daily. You have not tasted apple cider until you have tasted Franklin Cider Mill’s apple cider!!

So, if you find yourself in or near Detroit, Michigan and it’s a blustery fall day, make a trip to the Franklin Cider Mill and Clutter your Stomach!!

www.franklincidermill.com

No comments:

Post a Comment