Friday, September 18, 2009

Hula Time


I’m so excited! Our website just went live and today I am learning how to write in my blog! I decided to name my blog, Clutter My World and would love to tell you why. First of all, one of my favorite bands is Chicago and one of my favorite songs is “Color My World.” That’s the song that my husband and I danced to at our wedding 28 years ago! Ok..that’s dating me, but we’re really not that old…we were 2 when we got married! Seriously, another reason why I named it Clutter My World is because one of my favorite pastimes is to travel, and everywhere I travel, I shop. I hope you enjoy reading my blogs and if you find yourself in one of the places I mentioned, you’ll at least know one place to go!

This summer, just before opening Clutter, I went to Hawaii for 2 weeks with my husband, 3 daughters, one son-in-law to be, and 2 friends of my daughter’s. When I say “just before,” I mean “JUST BEFORE!” I returned to Boulder on Aug. 1 and we opened the store on August 3….all due to the fantastic women who work at Clutter, especially Susan Larson and Diana Farran. Thanks to them, I had a worry free vacation and I am so thankful for that.

Anyway….back to Hawaii…we were on the Big Island, one of our favorite places to go. We have been every 3 years since 1991 and it has become a family tradition. Every time we go, as we head into Kona from the little grass shack that we rent (actually, it’s an old beach house in a wonderful area called Puako), we pass by a store that has a banner hanging outside that says “Hula Lamps of Hawaii…motion lamps.” Every time I see that banner, I say “I really want to go to that store!” Every time we leave the island, I say “Darn, I never made it to that store,” until this summer! We had just left Target ( yes, they now have a Target on the island!) and I knew we were close to the Hula Lamp Store…so I convinced everyone that I had to finally go see what the Motion lamps were all about. It’s not all that easy to get to, it’s off the highway and in a somewhat industrial/retail area and you have to turn here and turn there and oops, back up and go around and finally, you find it! When you walk into the store, it’s a glorious sight! There are beautiful bronze hula lamps designed and created by Mr. Charles Moore. He began his production of the lamps, in 1997, based on vintage topless retro hula lamp styles of the past and is now creating more detailed and contemporary styled hula girl lamps. Needless to say, I walked out of there one happy camper ( while the girls rolled their eyes). I purchased my very own, vintage topless retro hula girl lamp…and the best part about her…she hulas!! She now has a very prominent place on the buffet in our dining room and every evening I turn her on and every evening I watch her hula and I dream of being back in that little grass shack in Hawaii! So, next time you are on the Big Island, don’t forget to visit the Hula Lamp of Hawaii Gallery and Showroom (http://www.hulalamps.com/) and …..Clutter your world!!

1 comment:

  1. Patty, my wife absolutely LOVES your store! I can't keep her out of it! Our home is slowly filling up with "clutter-stuff" (as she calls it)! I don't think a day goes by where I don't come home from the hospital to find something new and exciting in the house!
    Thanks for making our Boulder home a clutter oasis! BTW, we also have homes in Maui and Vale...any chance you can open a few more Clutters (kidding but not really)? Dr. "Ed".

    ReplyDelete